Monday, January 27, 2014

Simply It: Lincoln Park

SIMPLY IT


Simply It has been bringing authentic Vietnamese cuisine, usually found on Argyle Street, to Lincoln Park for over six years now.  When they first opened I asked their owner, admiringly referred to as “Uncle”, why Lincoln Park?  He said he saw an opportunity because there were Thai, Chinese, and Sushi restaurants in the neighborhood, but no Vietnamese.  He wanted more people to experience the wonderful, distinct flavors that Vietnamese food offers.  I had long been a fan of Tank, Pho 888, Hai Yen, and the restaurants on Argyle Street, so I was skeptical about Simply It.  At the same time, I was worried that even if the food was good, their location would be an issue.  For years, it was a turntable for restaurants, opening and closing.  Recently moving to Lincoln Park from Lincoln Square, getting to Argyle was a process, so I was eager to try Simply It.  

The food didn't disappoint and the atmosphere put it over the top for me.  “Uncle” is such a wonderful guy and you can tell he wants you to have a great experience.  The staff is very attentive and friendly as well.  As an added bonus, I have received a free desert every time I have been to Simply It.  A story I like to tell about this great restaurant is when I used to call and order Pho to go.  I would start my order and then request the beef on the side and add extra jalapenos.  Instantly I hear “Uncle” say, “Jeff”!  He knew who I was based on my order.  Try Simply It and become a regular as well.


RECOMMENDATIONS

APPETIZERS

  • Shrimp Rolls:  Shrimp and assorted vegetables wrapped in rice paper and served with plum sauce.  Ask for jalapenos to be added!
  • Saigonese Crepe:  One of their specialties!  Crepe filled with shrimp, chicken, mushroom, onion and bean sprout.  Served with a chili lime sauce.
  • Grilled Lemongrass Beef:   Make your own rice paper rolls!  Mix the beef with veggies and roll in the rice paper.
  • Shrimp Papaya Salad:  Shrimp tossed with shredded papaya, topped with peanut and a chili lime garlic dressing.
ENTREES

  • Pho:  This is a Vietnamese specialty soup with noodles, fresh herbs, lime, jalapenos and a choice of beef.  I recommend flank steak or brisket.  There is no better soup on a cold night!
  • Pumpkin Soup:  Pumpkin with shrimp and scallions.
  • Pineapple Calamari:  Calamari stir fried with pineapple and cashews.  It is then served in a pineapple!
  • Clay Pot Chicken: Chicken simmered with ginger and served in a clay pot.  Traditional dish.  There is also a catfish clay pot option, that I have not had, but sounds great.
  • Coconut and Mango Beef:  Exactly what it sounds like and served in a coconut!
  • Simply It’s Special Noodles:  Glass noodles (vermicelli) with veggies, scallions and a light brown sauce.  I recommend adding crab or beef. 
DESSERTS
  • I have never actually paid for a desert here but are served every time!  Hopefully you will be able to try the green tea ice cream, amazing!  I would recommend a bubble tea smoothie.  Again, this is part of the experience!  Try mango, lychee, papaya, or……avocado, it is surprisingly great.
For all of the dishes, I would recommend a Sauvignon Blanc, Riesling, or hoppy Pilsner.  All will complement the spice.  If you have never had Vietnamese food before, go there with an open mind ready for an experience.  Ask questions, tell the server what you like, and share dishes so that you can try more.  I guarantee you will be back to Simply It!


Their inviting dining room

Make sure you say hello to "Uncle"!
Shrimp spring rolls in rice paper

Traditional Vietnamese Beef Pho

Shrimp Papaya Salad

Pineapple Calamari

Clay Pot Chicken

Fried Bananas with Green Tea Ice Cream

2269 Lincoln Avenue; Chicago, IL 60614
773-248-0884
map:  https://www.google.com/maps/preview/@41.923501,-87.6457,17z
http://www.simplyitrestaurant.com/
http://www.yelp.com/biz/simply-it-chicago


No comments:

Post a Comment